Bruce Weaver wrote:

> Suppose you were conducting a test with someone who claimed to have ESP,
> such that they were able to predict accurately which card would be turned
> up next from a well-shuffled deck of cards.  The null hypothesis, I think,
> would be that the person does not have ESP.  Is this null false?

        Technically, the null hypothesis is that

        P(card is predicted correctly) = 1/52

        - it is a statement about parameter values. Thus, any bias, no matter
how slight, affecting this, would make Ho false - whether the subject
had ESP or no.

        For instance, if the shuffling method tended to make a card slightly
less likely to come up twice in a row than one would expect, *even by a
few parts in a million*, and if the subject avoided such guesses, then
Ho would indeed be false.

        -Robert Dawson