Perhaps jthis is too superficial -- no time to think more deeply just
now.  But I suspect the difference between your two scenarios below is
that with exactly 5 computers to deal with (i.e., population size = 5)
you are sampling without replacement (which is only sensible, for the
background scenario!);  whereas with the textbook problem you are
assuming that the probabilities do not change (and in any case they
aren't the probabilities that correspond to your N=5 situation!), which
is equivalent to sampling _with_ replacement (or, what is much the same
thing, assuming the number of entities available to sample from is
infinite -- which is probably _not_ sensible for any real-life
scenario!).
                        -- Don.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, James Ankeny wrote in part:

> ... consider a problem where a manufacturer has five seemingly
> identical computers, though two are really defective and three are
> good.  ... we want the probability of the event A="order is filled with
> two good computers." ... then
> S={D1D2,D1G1,D1G2,D1G3,D2G1,D2G2,D2G3,G1G2,G1G3,G2G3}. Thus, P(A)= 0.30.

                <  snip  >

> ...  Yet, another similar problem in my textbook states that the
> probabilities of a computer being good and defective (from a particular
> manufacturer) are 0.90 and 0.10, respectively.  Then, if we want to test
> five computers, we may construct the sample space S=S1xS2xS3xS4xS5,
> where Si={G,D} for i=1,...,5. Hence, if A="all five computers tested are
> good," P(A)=(0.90)^5.  Why is that we can use the Cartesian product in
> this case but not in the other case?

 Donald F. Burrill                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                             (603) 535-2597
 Department of Mathematics, Boston University                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 111 Cummington Street, room 261, Boston, MA 02215       (617) 353-5288
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                      (603) 471-7128