> Alan McLean wrote:
 The p value is a direct measure of 'strength of evidence'.

and Lise DeShea responded:

> I disagree.  The p-value may be small when a
> study has enormous power yet a small effect size.
  A p-value by itself doesn't say much.

        I don't think there's actually a contradiction
here, provided that "strenth of evidence" [against the
null hypothesis] is not misunderstood to mean
"strength of evidence for the conclusion you are
trying to draw", this latter rarely being the literal
denial of the null hypothesis.

        -Robert Dawson