in my class, i gave students an option for doing some extra credit
web/internet work related to stat ... and, the 4th of these was

1. to join SOME stat list (edstat was not THE list ... it was one of a
number of possibilities ... i had given them mike fuller's great list of
stat lists as one reference)
2. show me evidence that they did join
3. show me evidence that they posted some note to the list they had joined

i think this was a good thing for them to do (it was optional of course)
... but, perhaps i should have been a BIT more specific about posting

however, i thought the main challenge would be for them to actually GET
subscribed and to post ...