on Fri, 15 Jun 2001, dennis roberts wrote in part:

> also, you can normalize a distribution that is not so normal but, i
> would ask ... how come you want to do that?

which is a good question.  But I would ask the prior question:
What, precisely, does Doug want to mean by "normalize"?  And is that
meaning congruent with Dennis's understanding of the word?
(THEN I would ask Dennis's question!)

(I note in passing that Doug is in a department of physical science,
and in physical sciences "normal" often has the meaning "perpendicular
to a (line or) plane";  while Dennis is in a department of educational
psychology, where "normal" nearly always refer to the probability
distribution that in physics is often called "Gaussian".  I can't tell
from the rather spare context whether any such misunderstanding or
miscommunication applies to the conversation, but if it does, 'twere
better sorted out sooner than later.)
                                        -- Don.
 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128