On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, David Schaefer wrote:

> My Stats professor is having us run some correlations and what not
> through SPSS.  She has asked us to transform some raw scores to
> z-scores for a reading achievement test.  The commands she has asked
> us to type in the syntax editor is:
>                       COMPUTE zread = (reading-52.23)/10.25.
>                       EXECUTE.
>
> The 52.23 and 10.25 are the mean and standard deviation of the data,
> repectively.  Absolutely nothing happens when I highlight and "Run"
> these commands.

What were you expecting to "happen"?  If these are the only commands
that you asked to be carried out, there would be no visible "happening",
because no output has been called for.  There will have been a variable
named "zread" created by the COMPUTE/EXECUTE sequence and stored in the
active data file, but if you have not asked for output you won't get any.

You might have asked, for example, for the mean(s) and standard
deviation(s) of this new variable (and perhaps other extant variables);
or for a correlation matrix among several variables, including this
variable;  or for a listing of the values of this variable (if the
number of cases is not prohibitively large).

> Any slight alterations of them result in a variety of error messages.

Yes, that sounds reasonable, since any alteration would probably result
in misspelling one or more command name(s) or variable name(s).

 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128

  • SPSS David Schaefer
    • spss Donald Burrill
    • spss linda mcguigan