Subj: Routine request (chuckle)
Date: 7/8/2001 9:35:50 PM Central Daylight Time
From:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neville X. Elliven)
Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Neville

In your Routine request (chuckle),7/8/200, you write:

<<
If by "rearrange" you mean "exchange", the TRANSPOSE() function
in Excel does this; if you mean "sort", then the Data>Sort command
does that; but if you mean something else, then you'll have to be more
specific.>>

First, I tried to reply offlist but   MAILER-DAEMON did not recognize
your address at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Second, I did not append my title to my signature for my original message
because of my  innate modesty.  But, as you may have already guessed
'tis M/S D [Math/Stats Dummy]

Third, I am using the Microsoft Works for Windows spreadsheet.  It
does not have a transpose command, and only sorts in ascending
or descending order --- which ain't all that much help.  I can do what
I want to do manually.  But that gets mighty old, mighty quick.

Fourth, as to what it is  I want to do, let me just say that I wish to enter
data in a matrix like that I've attached  ('tis virus free I assure you,
no hacker I --- I swear on my edstat honor) and rearrange the Actors
so  as to produce the pattern I like best on both qualitative and
quantitative grounds.

What I mean by qualitative should be readily apparent. As an example
of what I mean by quantitative, I compute what I call relative salience
scores for the subgroups (the matrix as a whole is itself a group) and
their intergroup.

But my SocioMatrix of Data Presentation [SSMDP} can get much more
complicated than this one.   Should you have an insatiable desire to see
what I mean, I could find it in my heart (generous soul that I am) to send
you another attachment.

Should that pique your interest still further, I would be willing to send you
a short manuscript explaining what I am up to. {No, no!!!  No need to be
so effusive in your mental thanks  That's just the kind of guy I am)

But be warned, once you read it you will be irresistibly impelled to turn
my modi operandi (I call it that because it has a whole slew of uses) into
a mathematical model

In all seriousness, I much appreciate your response.

Live long and prosper:

Aitchoo aka H(arley) U(pchurch), Ph.D. in sociology

Family & coworkers edited 2.wks