one way is:

1. convert sample r to Fisher's BIG Z (consult conversion table)
2. find standard error of Fisher's Z ... (find formula in good stat book)
3. for 95% CI ... go 1.96 standard error (from #2) units on either side of
Z (from #1)
4. convert EACH end of the CI in Fisher Z units back to r values (use table
from #1 in reverse)

At 05:28 AM 10/22/99 -0200, Alexandre Moura wrote:
>Dear members,
>
>how can I construct a confidence interval for a Pearson correlation?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Alexandre Moura.

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm