On 17 Aug 2001 10:14:04 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JDriscoll) wrote:

> I have a large dataset (N can be 2,000-9,000) with
> mostly categorical outcome variables.  Any
> chi square is significant with residuals of 100+
> for tiny differences.  I  know one can determine
> effect size for continuous variables and show
> result is sign only due to size of the N, but...how
> do I do this for categorical outcome variables?
> Thanks!

"contingency coefficient" is one old description of RxK tables.

For examples that I have had, I am usually interested in
various 2x2 sub-tables.  If that suits you,  you have a slew of
kappa, and odds ratio; or dependent on the labeling and roles
of variables: e.g.,  sensitivity/specificity, etc.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html