conceptually yes ... since, some items are clearly more important than
others ...

empirically ... since this has been explored many times ... back in the 70s
and 80s ... it seems to have no impact on rel and val ...

who decides? well, one way is to say ... experts ... have them rate items
in terms of importance

but, it takes lots of time and ... where do we get the experts from?

obviously, the notion of unit weighting does not make "importance" sense
but, it is easy ... that's why we do it

At 01:33 PM 8/25/01 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In a message dated 8/25/01 9:06:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>writes:
>
><< whether the item you talk about rises to the level of being important
>  enough ... i am not sure ... certainly, in the overall scheme of things ...
>  IF it is included ... it would have to be considered to be of trivial value
>  ... and if someone misses it ... they should not be docked as much as many
>  other more fundamentally important items ... that hopefully WILL be put on
>  the test >>
>

>Dennis:
>
>Are you saying that when we make up and give a test we should weight the
>point score for each question?  Exactly who will decide on the importance of
>each item?
>
>Just a question as I sit here preparing the final exam for my students.
>
>Dr. Robert C. Knodt
>4949 Samish Way, #31
>Bellingham, WA 98226
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't
>read them." - Mark Twain

dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm