On 20 Sep 2001 11:05:08 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Cryer) wrote:

>(quoting Robert:   "even when N=20,  a uniform distribution can be treated as
> normal for most purposes.")
>
> I assume you meant to say that for N=20, the sample mean based on a random
> sample from a uniform distribution can be assumed to have a normal
> distribution for most purposes.
>
> Right?

I thought he was intending the stronger statement:  a lot of
uniforms can be treated as normal, especially for small N
and for moderate effect size.  Conover, et al., showed the
equivalency between doing (a) the old rank-order tests (like the
MWW), and  (b) simple t-tests, etc., on the rank-transformations.

Robert waffles by saying 'most' purposes, so I have to
find it easy to agree.  When might you *not*  treat  a uniform,
N=20  as normal?  - perhaps when the R^2  is too high
(above .90)?

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html