At 06:14 PM 9/21/01 +0000, Jerry Dallal wrote:
>I wrote:
>
> > Does anybody really care about the proportions of different colors
> > in bags of M&Ms?
>
>because I surely didn't, but perhaps I should.  Since the % blues
>differ among plain and peanut (10 v 30, says WBW) there's probably a
>good medical/epidemiology exercise to be had by relabeling
>plain/peanut, blue/non-blue and handing out a bunch of bags to the
>class. (Thanks also to LD).

this may be true but ... in the overall scheme of things ... this has to be
of trivial importance and interest ... there must be better "exemplars" to
use that have more real life applications

when m and ms go off the market, does this sort of problem have ANY
relevance to anything?

if we have to rely on m and m examples to capture their attention ... then
no wonder we don't make much headway in our pursuit of teaching "fearful"
students about statistics ...

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm