At 02:12 PM 9/21/01 -0500, Jon Cryer wrote:
>I wouldn't call bootstrapping "sampling from a population."
>Would you?
>
>Jon Cryer

however, we should perhaps not make too lightly of this method ... if
bootstrapping or resampling ... will produce accurate estimates of standard
errors (for example)

in stat classes, we typically will let "software" do the many many
samplings from some population and then plot the statistics that occur
across all those samples

what if we could show that taking ONE SRS of decent size ... and beating
the dickens out of it (ie, resampling) ... would produce a sigma sub x bar
... that is essentially the same that we would find across say ... 5000
separate samples and then looking at the SD of those 5000 sample means?

thus, if the question is ... what is the standard error likely to be ...
then perhaps we can arrive at that answer from bootstrapping or resampling
... just as well ... and in a sense more efficiently ... than our normal
strategy of generating new SRSes from a defined population

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm