Robert:

"even when N=20,  a uniform distribution can be treated as
>normal for most purposes."

I assume you meant to say that for N=20, the sample mean based on a random
sample from a uniform distribution can be assumed to have a normal
distribution
for most purposes.

Right?

Jon Cryer

At 01:16 PM 9/20/01 -0300, you wrote:

>JHWB wrote:
>>
>> Hm, hope I didn't make that subject to complex, resulting in zero replies.
>> But hopefully you can answer this:
>>
>>snip
>
>       The gotcha is that while these may be roughly equivalent questions for
>(say) N=20, for N small deviations from normality are important and the
>test is poor at detecting them; for N large, deviations from normality
>do not matter very much but the test is hypersensitive.
>
>       For instance: even when N=20,  a uniform distribution can be treated as
>normal for most purposes. However, it will generally fail the
>Ryan-Joiner test at a 5% level!
>
>       -Robert Dawson

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                  http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Jon Cryer, Professor Emeritus                  (             )
Dept. of Statistics  www.stat.uiowa.edu/~jcryer \            \_University
 and Actuarial Science   office 319-335-0819     \         *   \of Iowa
The University of Iowa   home   319-351-4639      \            /Hawkeyes
Iowa City, IA 52242      FAX    319-335-3017       |__________ )

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble.
It's the things we do know that just ain't so." --Artemus Ward