At 12:01 PM 9/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
>  I have a question about "averaging medians."  My dataset consists of
> median values for a variable of interest. To find the average, do I
> average the medians and get a mean median, or do I find the median of the
> median values?

since we don't know how many of these medians you have ... or anything
about the shapes of the distributions on which you have (only) median
values ... we don't know if it really makes much of or any difference BUT,
to be consistent ... if you have collected medians ... ie, Q2 values ...
then, it makes most consistent sense (to me anyway) if you need an average
of these ... to take the median of these ...

by the way ... why would you have the medians of this variable ... and not
the means? was there some important reason?

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm