of course. the most important issue is ... what do you mean by optimal? if
you can specify what the purpose of the sampling project is ... the
parameter to be estimated, within what margin of error, etc. ... then you
might be able to answer the question ... "what is the MINIMAL n needed to
accomplish these ends" ... that might be optimal if you are looking for the
smallest n you can get by with ... but, optimal does not have to be defined
as such ...

At 12:23 PM 10/1/01 +0200, Bernhard Kuster wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am interessted in the question of optimal sample size in general, not for
>a special statistical technique.
>
>My questions: (1) What do I have to keep in mind if I compute optimal sample
>size, what is relevant? (2) What are the classic studies and who has highly
>influenced the subject? (3) What are the problems discussed right now by the
>scientific community? (4) What are the relevant journals and is there some
>information on the web?
>
>Can anybody advise on one or more of these questions? Thanks a lot!
>
>Bernhard

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm