Hi,

I have a basic question that I just couldn't find an answer for.

I want to measure the % error introduced by using EWMA as against a
linear average for a *stationary* random process (not necessarily
Normal) over a given (long/short term) time window:

I am using the Chi Squared test for anomaly detection on a computer
network. In the setup, sampled values of a certain network parameter are
distributed into one of 32 mutually exclusive and exhautive bins. The
long and short term frequencies of each bin are then calculated and used
with the Chi Squared test. The frequency calculation involves the use of
EWMA since other methods are not computationally feasible. I wish to
know how much of the False Positives that we are getting is due to the
inaccurate estimation by the EWMA of these frequencies. Surely, the
process is not Normal, there *is* serial autocorrelation and since it's
a Quality of Service Network Domain, the process can be assumed to be
fairly/approx.ly stationary.

I can see with my code and results that the EWMA tends to be near the
actual 'brute force' linear average, but not quite equals it. Since this
difference matters in Chi Square, it will lead to False Positives. I
just want to know whether the error is significant at all.

Can anyone point me to a detailed mathematical treatment/paper on this
topic? I couldn't find any.

Thanks a lot!

Vinay.

--