Herman Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in sci.stat.edu:
>Test for understanding, not for imitation of robots.  Give
>a few multi-part problems, and be sure to give partial credit.

Excellent advice. I do (try to) test for understanding, by posing
problems in real-world terms and seeing if the students know which
test or calculation to do in which circumstances. Calculators are
allowed for all work. And yes, I give partial credit where it's
warranted. On the other hand, I don't give credit where work is not
shown. In my view, the "right" answer is worthless if you can't
justify it.

Someone else mentioned projects. Students do two in the semester, a
test of population proportion based on a sample of 100 and a larger
project of their own choosing.

                                          http://oakroadsystems.com
My reply address is correct as is. The courtesy of providing a correct
reply address is more important to me than time spent deleting spam.