Presently the Gaming Industry of Australia is attempting to define various
new 'definitions of Standard Deviation'...in a concept to define infield
metrics for the analysis of machines in terms which imply whether a machine
is being operated with respect to its defined percentage or in fact outside
its defined region - i.e.. Illegally manipulated.

My understanding of the Standard Deviation metric does not fit the mixed
(confused) proposals of the industry. Therefore I ask if a suitable
mathematician may be available to examine the problem.

The gaming industry seems to want the metric used in terms of a periodic
infield observable, my feeling is that it is inappropriate and another
method must be provided if possible. The first part is to confer the
inappropriate aspect of STDDEV to periodic observations. After which
appropriate methods are required!

Here is the problem:

 Imagine a game with two components, the base game and a feature. During the
base game prizes from say 20 units to 5000 are awarded (the standard
deviation being well defined).         During  the base games at
statistically 1 in say 120 occurrence, a feature game occurs which uses the
same base game prizes though all are multiplied by 3 i.e. 60 to 15000 unit
prizes.

 What method should be used to define the standard             deviation?

For anyone able to provide a provable solution a monetary prize of at least
$250US is available.

Regards,

David H. Muir