I would have to respectfully disagree with Dennis' comment
also.  Having the pre values twice in the model does not
hurt or change anything in interpreting the treatment effect.

BUT I do not like this approach.  It makes the results more
difficult to interpret when you do have a variable in both
places.  As it is mandatory to have the pre measurement as
a separate covariable at any rate, the response variable
I prefer is the follow-up assessment, not the change.
A good discussion is in Stephen Senn's "Statistical Issues
in Drug Development" book (Wiley).  -Frank Harrell

Radford Neal wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Dennis Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >the basic idea is to be able to "explain" the post score variance in terms
> >of something ELSE ... that is, for example ... we know that some of the
> >variance in pain is due to one's TOLERANCE for PAIN ... thus, if we can
> >remove the part of pain variance that is due to TOLERANCE FOR pain ... then
> >the leftover variance on pain is a purer measure in its own right ..
> >
> >if you do as suggested ... remove the pre from the post ... say pre pain
> >from post pain ... what is left over? it is not pain anymore but rather,
> >some OTHER variable ... which is not what the purpose of the study was ...
> >to investigate (i assume anyway)
>
> Well, the idea is that the OTHER variable is the treatment effect,
> whose quantification presumably IS the purpose of the study.  I think
> this is a pretty standard thing to do.
>
> It seems that the original question was meant to address the more
> technical issue of whether you can include the pre-treatment value as
> an explanatory variable when the response variable is already the
> CHANGE from before treatment to after treatment.  As another poster
> has ably explained, you can, though it's a bit strange and redundant.
>
>    Radford

> Radford M. Neal                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Dept. of Statistics and Dept. of Computer Science [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> University of Toronto                     http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~radford

Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences
U. Virginia School of Medicine  http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat