Hi

On 25 Nov 2001, Herman Rubin wrote:
> If it is a good test, ability should predominate, and there is
> absolutely no reason for ability to even have close to a normal
> distribution.  If one has two groups with different normal
> distributions, combining them will never get normality.

I think that "no reason" is too strong.  The typical explanation
for normally distributed polygenic traits (ability, height, or
whatever) is that each of a large number of genes contributes
some small component to the trait.  With enough genes, the
ultimate distribution will be reasonably well approximated by the
normal (analogous to the normal approximation to the binomial).

You don't need to accept genetic mechanisms to find some
reasonable reason to think that test performance and other trait
measures will be normally distributed, or at least approximately
so.  If we appreciate that performance depends on a host of
differentiated factors (e.g., having a good night's sleep, having
just happened to study a particular kind of problem more than
some other, having distracting thoughts or not, not misreading
the question, different kinds of ability, and so on ...), then
again a normal-like distribution will emerge.

This isn't to deny Herman's basic point that a set of marks can
contain results from different underlying populations.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark