Whether we can get causal inferences out of correlation and equations has
been a dispute between two camps:

For causation: Clark Glymour (Philosopher), Pearl (Computer scientist),
James Woodward (Philosopher)

Against: Nancy Cartwright (Economist and philosopher), David Freedman
(Mathematician)

One comment fromm this list is about that causal inferences cannot be
drawn from non-experimental design. Clark Glymour asserts that using
Causal Markov condition and faithfulness assumption, we can make causal
interpretation to non-experimental data.

Chong-ho (Alex) Yu, Ph.D., MCSE, CNE, CCNA
Psychometrician and Data Analyst
Assessment, Research and Evaulation
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]