In article <9v89fi$7e7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael London <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>An introduction to mathematical statistics by Bain and Engelhart deals with
>this topic

>ML

>"Clay S. Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> You have probably thought of this, but the age old standard is the Chi
>> Square test.

For testing goodness of fit to a distribution, the
chi-squared test has very low power.  If there are
parameters to be estimated, the asymptotic distribution
is not chi-squared, but can be calculated numerically
fairly easily by using the moment generating function
as an analytic function.

>> One thing about empirical distributions is that they may not be one of
>> the standard forms.  This is why the Jackknife method and then later the
>> Bootstrapping methods were developed. Thus you can extract the
>> distribution for your data set.

Tests like the chi-squared test, the Kolmogorov-Smirnov
test, the Cramer-von Mises test, can test fit to a
parametric family, or whether two samples come from
the same distribution.  If the forms are not "standard",
one can compare the deviation with samples form the
assumed distribution; this is far better than anything
like the jackknife or the bootstrap, and does not require
asymptotics to be used.  There is no way that anyone
can extract the analytic form of a distribution from
which data has been sampled from a finite amount of data.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558