On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 00:47:19 -0500, Derrick Coetzee
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gary Klass wrote:
>
> > http://lilt.ilstu.edu/gmklass/COW/
>
> As other posters have noted: always beware the "obvious" implications of
> correlations. A common example is that drownings and ice cream sales are
> strongly correlated.
 [...]

Yesterday's newspaper summarized a report that screen-writers
who had more movies to their credit, and more 4-star pictures
in particular, were more likely to have won a writing Oscar,
instead of just being nominated.   No! Wait!  It was backwards
of that -- the authors (so it seemed in the news item)  concluded
that Winners should go on to be more successful...  but die younger.

And further speculation.  My interest faded before I looked it all up.
--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html