Dear Colleagues,

        I have an equation Y^2 = (2D)X, where "2D" is a constant and
both Y and X are experimentally-measured parameters.  I have both
experimental values of X (values known precisely; std. deviation = 0)
and of Y (for which I have std. deviations "y" for each Y-value).  To obtain
the value of D, I plotted Y^2 vs. X and divided the resultant slope by 2.
The value of D thus obtained corresponded to our expectations.

        My question is: if I have 5 values of Y +/- y and 5 values of X
(+/- 0), is there a way of calculating the std. deviation for the value of
D (i.e., D +/- d)?  Responders are kindly requested to contact me
_directly_ at [EMAIL PROTECTED] because I don't often consult this
usegroup.  Please be as specific as possible in your reply, because I'm
no mathematician.

Thanks in advance to all responders,

S. Shapiro
[EMAIL PROTECTED]