do you want to include anything about the variables:  categorical,
continuous, etc.

anyway, my interpretation of your function is that you are interested
in assessing whether the two variables are independent, i.e. the
likelihood they happen simultaneously is the product of their separate
likelihoods. so the chisquare test of independence or even a linear
correlation ala pearson come to mind.  does this help?

news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...