addendum

if one manipulates n and p in a binomial and, gets to a point where a
person would say (or we would say as the instructor) that what you see is
very similar to ... and might even be approximated well by ... the nd
...  this MEANS that the nd came first in the sense that one would have to
be familiar with that before you could draw the parallel

At 06:36 PM 2/17/02 -0500, Timothy W. Victor wrote:
>I also think Alan's idea is sound. I start my students off with some
>binomial expansion theory.
>
>Alan McLean wrote:
> >
> > This is a good idea, Dennis. I would like to see the sequence start with
> > the binomial - in a very real way, the normal occurs naturally as an
> > 'approximation' to the binomial.

Dennis Roberts, 208 Cedar Bldg., University Park PA 16802
<Emailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
WWW: http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm
AC 8148632401