Stock market returns usually satisfy martingale property, and are
uncorrelated. I think you should check your calculations again for errors.
Are you sure that you are working with returns and not prices? I guess
that by "heavy correlation" you mean that estimated autoregressive
coefficient is close to 1, which holds for prices. Just a suggestion, hope
it helps.