If I read your problem correctly, an experiment is not really being
conducted.  Rather, it is a static group comparison which is
essentially a pre-experimental design.  The pollutants, fish, and
rivers are not "manipulated" by the researcher.  The manipulation of
independent variables is the sine qua non of an experiment.
Regardless, it would be feasible to determine the relationships among
fish diversity, pollution levels, pH levels, etc. comparing  randomly
selected rivers.