First of all, I'm glad to see that some places are beginning to pick up Python as an introductory language, Doug. Here at Swarthmore, as you may know, the department just revamped the intro course layout to teach Java from the get-go, which I tried as much as an undergrad could, to prevent for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I find its syntax too too picky, particularly with the advent of generics. But that's water under the bridge, I guess.

As a second note, I don't consider Python a language suitable only for lower-level classes. I am currently writing a ray-tracer for my Advanced Graphics seminar completely in Python, and I've found that development goes a whole hell of a lot quicker than in C++, which my partner and I wrote our modeling/rendering enginge in last semester. I'm also working on a few personal projects (a replacement for pine/mutt in the style of gmail, among others) in Python.

In fact, the only areas I think Python is *not* suitable are low-level architecture-dependent programming. Our architecture class does CPU/memory stress testing using C, and our operating systems classes should also probably use it. I guess I feel that only in places where the architecture *is* the point of the project should a low-level language be used; in all other situations, the goal of the class ought to be to study the algorithms and focus on goals, instead of nitpicky details.

I guess that didn't directly address any of your questions -- just my thoughts on the matter.

dsc