> I also find it interesting that most of us here are considering it as an
> alternative to either C++ or Java, but aren't mentioning Scheme (which has
> been an intro CS language at MIT for some time).

I love Scheme and LISP, and I actually considered using it as a CS1/CS0
language a few years ago. I even read the first couple of chapters of their
Scheme textbook. But it's not a viable choice if you want to introduce
modern programming practices to students.

Scheme is great if you treat CS as an off-shoot of mathematics and ignore
the applied aspects (such as the fact that there's a computer running
running your code!), but most students are well-aware that Scheme is *not*
the lingua franca of real-world programming. And the reality is (at least in
my neighborhood) that the vast majority of CS students are interesting
software engineering careers, and so a practical language like Python that
shows how pure CS ideas can be made practical is ideal.

I've spoken to a few teachers at a school that tried the Scheme-first
approach, and the students generally *hated* it. I've talked to students who
took a CS2 data structures and algorithms course in LISP, and they claimed
to *hate* the course --- while at the same time saying "LISP was lots of
fun!".

Scheme is a great language for someone who is already hooked on CS, and is
interested in certain abstract questions of computation. But it's just not
useful or interesting enough to appeal to enough students.

Toby