Thanks, Wesley!

If the item bank were larger, you would not have received easier questions at the end. You would have gotten more difficult questions. The bank for the demo is quite small, so you exhausted all of the difficult ones first because your ability initially mapped on to the difficult portion of the scale. The algorithm is quite efficient in determining where you are on the scale after about 3 - 5 questions. In a test with a larger bank, you would have received more difficult questions as long as you kept getting them right. The test would finally terminate after 20 questions being administered. The alpha of the test, a psychometric term for reliability, is estimated to be .92 or higher with this number of items in a well designed computer adaptive test.

I have corrected the issue with the use of 'sum' (now ‘sum1’) and the syntax error with 'True:' (now ‘True’); that was a good catch! On a different note, I thought by designing this trial version of the system in Python, there would be an increase in the time in serving the questions to the client. I guess that using numarray and multithreading to do the heavy lifting on the back end has made it ‘fast enough’ for operational use. What do you think?

From: w chun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: damon bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: edu-sig@python.org
Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] Python Programming: Procedural Online Test
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 23:46:32 -0800

> The problems seemed to get much easier in the last 5 or so (very basic
> syntax questions). The one about "James"=="james" returning -1 is no longer
> true on some Pythons (as now we have boolean True).

the tests were well done... i enjoyed taking them.  like kirby, i also
found the Boolean issue.  in the procedural test, i found a syntax
error... i think the question with the [None] * 5... (well, [None,
None, None, None, None] actually), where you're setting "x[b[i] =
True:" ... that colon shouldn't be there.  there was/were also
question(s) which used sum as a variable name.  that is a built-in
function that is hidden if used.  interestingly enough, your syntax
checked actually highlighted it too.  :-)

cheers,
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com