> Just looking for the most elegant solution to my problem- nothing quirky
> intended.

Well, philosophically, I could see where a lot of CS types might have
a problem with mutable numbers, complex or otherwise.

Usually, some complex number s would be operated on by a function g,
to return new complex number g(s).

This idea that g(s) might return null or something, while meanwhile s
itself has changed, is usually not considered so elegant.

Even s = g(s) i.e. reassignment of s to a new value, is better than
g(s) producing a side-effect, i.e. a change to s itself -- where s.g()
would be another way to say it.

You'll hear the word "quirky" applied to this latter pattern.  Usually
means:  "hard to debug" (reassignments are easier to catch than
implicit changes in memory).

Kirby