In a message of Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:11:03 EST, Arthur writes:
> [...]

I'm confused too.

It sounds to me that you want to invent your own type.  Does your type
have any relationship to the complex numbers that we know and love, or
do you just want a type that has 2 parts?

In particular, check out:
http://home.scarlet.be/~ping1339/complget.htm#Polar-representation

Do you want this

a + ib = r (cos(t) + i sin(t))

to be true for your type as well?  I think so.

I'm worried that when you start mutating the type -- as opposed to
simply assigning new values to it -- you can create a state where
this is _not_ true.  Am I wrong?

Laura