On 9/23/06, Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We might all take the opportunity to pontificate with respect to our own
> particular visions, down to every detail.

Yes, no shortage of disk space, even with the new Google facility in
The Dalles not completely operational yet.

> Mine is one where the significance of the relationship of the
> circumference of a circle to its diameter is taught and understood in PI
> squared different ways, including - importantly -  as history. The

Historically, the use of the word "squared" in this context contains a
whiff of a moronic past, when the orthonormalists monopolized world
affairs.  Fortunately those days are long over (and yes, we still say
"squared" when referring to 2nd powering, in the interests of backward
compatibility).

> calculation to x digits being the least important or interesting -
> something a mere machine can accomplish with a little help.
>
> But such a discussion is perhaps not exactly to the point right here and
> now.
>
> no further reading required.
>
> Art

You and I don't read the same history books apparently.

Kirby