Another problem (both with Kirby's implementation and mine) is that you
"get
lucky": if the user specifies the smaller number and the larger number in
the "wrong" order, the algorithm magically swaps them for the next
recursion. When tackling other recursion problems, students probably won't
be able to count on such luck.

-John

Yes I agree that that's fun, about the automatic swapping.

Also, it shouldn't escape note that *all* of these recursive
solutions, from elegant to more transparent, seem harder
to grok than the non-recursive version first given, which I
credit to Guido.

Kirby