On 25.12.2008, at 17:38, Daniel Ajoy wrote:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 06:00:02 -0500, <edu-sig-requ...@python.org> wrote:

From: "Edward Cherlin"

2008/12/23 michel paul :
http://www.acm.org/press-room/news-releases/obama-education

"Computing education benefits all students, not just those interested in pursuing computer science or information technology careers," said Bobby
Schnabel, chair of ACM's Education Policy Committee (EPC).

Thanks. I'll invite them to join Earth Treasury's digital textbook
project for the OLPC XO + Sugar. We have Smalltalk, Python, and FORTH
standard on the XO, and we can add anything else of interest. Well,
not Ada or C++, but those aren't of interest to third graders.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks

I don't think FORTH comes with the XO by default. I've the Mexico and Uruguay images and I haven't seen it. What's the name of it's executable?

It's in the firmware, and you need a developer key to access it.

Smalltalk only comes if Etoys is installed.

Which it is, on every deployment so far. It's also part of Sugar.

UCBLogo is Scheme without parethesis (and with dynamic scope, instead of lexical scope)
http://wiki.laptop.org/images/e/e5/Ucblogo-4.xo

The problem is that is it not sugarized yet.

and the LogoFE library for Logo makes is very much like APL. LogoFE is already in Spanish the language spoken in Uruguay, Colombia and Perú, where the XO has had deployments.

Right, a nice Logo is the one missing piece of the programming environments officially supported by OLPC:

http://laptop.org/en/laptop/software/specs.shtml

- Bert -