Scott, regarding your vision problems, from your e-mail header, it looks like
you're using
          the virus a.k.a. Windows (User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
(Windows/20080914)).
          Me too.  My bread and soy butter world is Gates based.

          Windows has options to help your text reading:
                 -- I prefer ZoomIt
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897434.aspx)
                 -- under Programs, Accessories, Accessibility, you'll find the
Magnifier applet.
                 -- with Internet Explorer you can change text size via the
View Menu
                       (success here is sometimes suppressed by the individual
web page's internal structure)
                 -- Firefox 3 has a Zoom Menu which behaves similar to ZoomIt
with the Firefox window.

           Linux and other O/S's likely have tools akin to ZoomIt and Magnifier.

            (Fortunately for me, I'm very near sighted, so I just have to move
things closer to my eyeballs.)

Sinister Scott, I too am left handed .... not a problem with most laptops.
Sucks for hammers, though.     B-)

Scott, I did not say to avoid customization ~~ remember, however, we are
talking SHARED laptops here.
         When I wrote "probably a single laptop configuration would suffice",
I'm talking some form
         of multi-boot or equivalent.  Because today's hard disks are
relatively large, it's possible to
         easily configure a single laptop to run more than a few operating
systems.

--
As for your former colleague's colour-blindness, while likely not fixable,
those with a basic understanding

CUSTOMIZATION  POSSIBILITIES