There's the design patterns literature, sometimes fun to just eyeball
so you get used to seeing patterns, even if different from the ones
described.

In some of my venues, there's a rule against any one person getting to
code a whole project i.e. deliberate management strategy to force a
minimum of two heads in any one black box, with the thought being, if
you have to explain it to me as you go, and I to you, then we won't
get away with just "documenting in our heads" (I'll get back to it
later).  When your counterpart starts saying "I no longer understand
this" then you know you've got some rewriting to do.  More than two if
feasible.

Of course that's too much a luxury some maybe thing.  Also, don't get
me wrong:  to collaborate on code is still to write big pieces of it
yourself.  It's just that the other coder has to be a consumer of your
API.

Encapsulation:  I'm exporting some API for this other coder to use,
and once I've put it out there, I should think twice about changing
it, lest I break stuff I don't know about...  that's a good mentality
in general, even if just writing for yourself.  Think of the little
"dashboards" that makes sense e.g. "increase heartrate" (if a patient
object).

comp.lang.python also good, any number of friendly people.
Programming is hard, if doable.  Having collaborators makes it easier
in part by adding to the fun.  Plus think of coding as a kind of
publishing and how academia puts such stress on "peer review" (at
least when addressing outsiders).  So why should code be any
different?

You're probably familiar with test driven development (TDD).  If not,
I'd do some reading.  Write tests, lots of them, as you go, partly
just as an advertisement to another coder what your API is expected to
do.  doctest is good, easy.  I'd say "every module comes with tests"
is a good rule of thumb.

This is especially important in Python where so much happens only at
runtime, i.e. there's no compile time type checking or stuff of that
nature, so writing lots of traps, looking for holes, is a huge time
saver in the end.

Then stick to the discipline of never committing (publishing, sharing)
code that breaks your own tests.

A lot of this is "passing on lore" i.e. I've done a lot of solo coding
in my day, with no one to explain it to, and test driven development
hasn't always been my thing either.  However, if you're really seeking
more discipline and professionalism in the coding department (as I am,
as we all are) then it makes sense to heed what the experts are
telling us.

In sum:  design patterns, TDD / XP.

Kirby

PS:  I also like list comprehensions, use 'em quite a bit.
Generators:  way cool.  Limited experience with scipy distro,
suspicious of traits, scared of Zope.  Lots of small modules, using
__init__.py for package management (ever do that?).