Scott David Daniels wrote:
kirby urner wrote:
... Hey, did you know Ellipsis is a new primitive object ...
Actually, it has been around for quite a while.... [broken example]

Sorry, everybody, I started writing, tried the code, and editted the reply, rather than taking direct quotes. In doing so, I slipped up.
I'm embarrassed enough that I'm going to re-post:

      >>> class Funny(object):
              def __getitem__(self, *args):
                  return args
      >>> psuedo_array = Funny()
      >>> psuedo_array[1, ..., 10]
      ((1, Ellipsis, 10),)
      >>> Ellipsis
      Ellipsis

Just to add some actual content: I believe this was first put in
to help out array processing and heavy computation projects.  The
biggest survivors / descendants of those projects are Scipy & Numpy.

By the way, Funny is actually a fairly useful class for experiments.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.dani...@acm.org