kirby urner wrote:
At issue is whether try-over-the-web is a way you need to go, granted
other language communities are trying it.

You've got Python out of the box if you're a Linux user, and so the
question is, if you're not a Linux user, do you even matter?  When it
comes to server side architectures, probably not.

The big difference between doing it "in the cloud" and doing it with a downloadable app on the student's computer is teacher interaction. Sure, you could do even that with the right kind of networking, but we will still need a central server if we want instructors to have a "wide and deep" view of the students work in progress, not just a clipping sent in an email. The immediate problem might be difficulties with recursion, but if the teacher drills down into the lesson on for-loops and sees some misunderstanding there, she might suggest that the student do a few more problems in that area first.

Here's another scenario. Imagine a diverse set of students, with an equally diverse collection of laptops, desktops, OS's, whatever. When a student has some difficulty with his homework, he presses the HELP button, and within minutes a "black belt" PyKata instructor is looking at the student's work, and offering advice. These instructors could be former students making a little money as tutors, or just doing it as a favor for their younger classmates, or maybe helping the sophomore team get ready for a competition.

I'm not seeing much downside to doing this as a web app, so I haven't given much thought to making it a self-contained downloadable app.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *
* Research Associate                phone: USA 520-721-4583   *  *  *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona                       *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg        Tucson, Arizona 85710          *