Hi,

just wanted to mention,
that http://dev.lshift.net/paul/rurple/
is a very nice and lightweit PLE.

what I like most (compared to RurPLE) are:
1) variables watch list (if it had breakpoints, it would rock :)
2) ability to controll speed at runtime
3) "stone" make more sense than "beeper" :]

by the way, variables list isn't packed in proposed .msi, so I did
py2exe and archived,
now one can start experimenting without any installation :)
http://ftp.akl.lt/users/jurgis/python/RURPLE-NG-0.51%20%5bindependent%20exe%5d.zip

***

P.s.: in my course:
1) I introduce to LOGO style graphics and Scratch first,
     loops, variables, conditionals, functions(messages)

    Even made a simple Karel style app
    http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/dz0/2759552

    ps.: in Harvard they also start with Scratch ;)  #from 46th minute

http://www.academicearth.org/lectures/cs-50-week0f-introduction-bits-binary-ascii-programming-algorithms

1a) then propose Scratch translation to Python :)
     http://ftp.akl.lt/users/jurgis/scratch/python_flavour/

2) then it's simple to do the same with RurPLE-NG
   + more

3) probably in the end will switch to turtle module,
    as it allows GUI interactions - what means games ;)

Best Regards
--
Jurgis Pralgauskis
tel: 8-616 77613;