I've taught online to newbies four times using my Hands-on Tutorial,
http://anh.cs.luc.edu/python/hands-on/3.1/
videos that are linked to it, and screen sharing for individual help.  My
setup has always been Idle, and a significant fraction of my students have
Macs.  None of my students were 12 years old - mostly 18.  a number of my
students have worked remotely from each other in pairs, with screen sharing
and audio.

Andy

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM, calcpage <calcp...@aol.com.dmarc.invalid>
wrote:

> All you need is nano or Pico or gedit or ...

Dr. Andrew N. Harrington
  Computer Science Department
  Graduate Program Director g...@cs.luc.edu
  Loyola University Chicago
  529 Lewis Towers, 111 E. Pearson St. (Downtown)
  417 Cudahy Science Hall (Rogers Park campus)
http://www.cs.luc.edu/~anh
Phone: 312-915-7982
Fax:    312-915-7998
ahar...@luc.edu (as professor, not gpd role)