Hello everyone,

If you use Python only to teach the very basic ideas of programming to
beginners, and if your students normally use a non-ascii based alphabet
language (and thus may struggle with entering Python keywords), you might
be interested in something I am working on:

https://github.com/aroberge/nonstandard

nonstandard allows one to use code transformations defined in
a simple way to change Python's standard syntax.

[This ide of using "simple native language keywords" was mentioned by Terry
Reddy as something desirable to implement for IDLE
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/idle-dev/2015-October/003642.html.]

A list of the available transformations is found here:
https://github.com/aroberge/nonstandard/tree/master/nonstandard/transformers

As a demonstration, I have included a transformation that makes it possible
to use a French version of Python's keywords.  Personally, I would not use
this version as a teaching tool, since the English alphabet is a subset of
the French one, ... but it was the only language I was confident enough to
use as a demonstration. ;-)

I realize that this may be of interest to only a few people on this list,
and do not mind if you reply to me directly

André

P.S. CS professionals will likely recoil in horror if they look at the code
and see what I did to make this work. As someone with no formal CS
education, my coding motto is "do the simplest thing that works".