On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Sebastian Silva <sebast...@fuentelibre.org>
wrote:

> On 17/08/17 11:36, Andre Roberge wrote:

> I appreciate reeborg and currently wasn't considering using it because I
> was looking for a production-capable coding experience, but your post about
> reeborg certainly has inspired a lot of thought in me about how to simplify
> the earliest experiences.

Reeborg's world is powered by Brython, which aims to be fully Python 3
compatible.  Users can save their own programs locally (i.e. on their own
computers).  I plan to show how to write at least one game using it.  It
includes access to most of Python's standard library.  I definitely
consider it a tool enabling users to write their own programs, going well
beyond the little robot world.

> Recently this research opened my mind about leapfrogging English as a
> barrier to entry for computational thinking altogether:
> https://mako.cc/copyrighteous/scratch-localization-and-learning

That article talks about using visualized Block-based programming
environments, with localization (human language) included.  Reeborg's World
includes this already, for three languages (English, French and Korean).

I have decided to limit the full localization to the blocks only, so that
students can 1) use this as a bridge, if needed, and 2) be able to learn a
"real" programming language as soon as possible, without having to
"unlearn" non-existent keywords when leaving the visual block environment
... with repeat being the only exception to this rule.

> I'm working with children with almost zero exposure to English and since
> we are already using transpilers... I think it could help.

I completely agree.

> `repeat` - I think this is great, to be able to teach loops before
> teaching variables... :-) There should be a PEP about it.

I suggested the idea on the Python-ideas list and was quickly shut down by
everyone , including Guido van Rossum himself.  So, unfortunately, there
will not be a PEP about this.

> I'll be looking forward to contribute and cross-pollinate with my own
> libre entry into the edu-ide field, Jappy: https://github.com/
> somosazucar/Jappy

It looks very interesting.  From my own experience with Reeborg's World
(and its desktop precursor, rur-ple), I would suggest that having it
running on some dedicated website, instead of requiring users to download
it to try it themselves, might be useful in having more people trying it
out.

Regards,

André