Yes, I've especially used gmpy2 and met the maintainer at a user group,
worked at Mentor Graphics as I recall, and was collaborating with Alex
Martelli on getting Python such a library.  Most of my Jupyter Notebooks
exploring high precision are using that.  Trig built right in, and complex
numbers.

Sage is a fantastic amalgamation of underlying tools, however I'm exploring
what a plain vanilla or at most a small install of a 3rd party library (vs.
a whole framework) might handle, as that lets us work in some simpler
environments, maybe just a bash shell in some cases.  I'm picturing
tentative customers not pre-committed to using computers at all (e.g. high
school math students used to Texas Instruments or maybe Casio).

What's just one step away from a calculator?  Calculators remain very
convenient devices and are likely to stay useful in the field.  I like
those solar powered models.  Nowadays more people emulate them on
smartphones.

Now that you've gone to all the trouble to upgrade to a real computer, lets
at least establish you have decent power in the arbitrary precision
department.

What minimal setup would you need to prove that to yourself?

That might help make you a convert if you're still thinking your calculator
might be the more capable device to reach for.  Lets do some circus tricks
with Python, like 2**1000.  Wow!  Long integers are like a revelation.  The
actual answer!  But can we do the same with messy decimal numbers?  That's
where too many settle for floating point, unnecessarily.

But yes, lets not forget the towering achievements all around us here.
We're indeed in a wealthy ecosystem. A lot of the barriers to adoption have
to do with long ingrained habits of mind.  The idea that we have both delta
and lambda calculus now, i.e. the Newtonian calculus stuff and now Alan
Turing and Ada stuff, is another way to help make it all one discipline,
call it what you like.

Kirby