> I thought you might be interested in this review of Edubuntu:
>
> http://www.bloggingbaby.com/entry/1234000340071196/
>
> I know (as several readers vociferously noted :) that Edubuntu is for
> families, but there are many reasons to want to adopt it to home use as
> well. This article takes that angle, and comes out very much in support
> of your work. I have to say that, having last installed Linux 9 years
> ago, I was VERY impressed with how smoothly it went. Ubuntu/Edubuntu is
> a reall hallmark of progress.

Of course Edubuntu is for families :)   Right now my 6-year and 3-year
old have started testing it on the home family PC (the 1-year old
still has few years to go before his beta tester time).  I have set up
Edubuntu on  a separate partition, with an auto-login setup into the
kids user account (an non-administrative account) at boot time.  My
6-year old only had to learn how to navigate a very simplified  grub
menu to select between Win98 and Edubuntu, and to learn how to logoff
and reboot  dad or mom when they are logged into what he calls "linux"
(i.e a normal Breezy for our grownup online activities).   So now he
can get into Edubuntu quite easily from a turned off computer, or from
any of the OS in that triple-boot family PC.

Until now he has not really ventured out of gcompris.  I have setup a
couple of icons on the desktop for gcompris, and the web browser (that
default into pbskids.org; a favourite site of his). The plan is to put
the applications they really like as icons on the desktop for easy
access, beside some of the music file they like to listen, and icons
to specific web sites.

For that age group I would say that a few select icons on the desktop
is probably a lot better than navigating the gnome-menus to select
what he wants to run.

By the way, the default background image was quite popular with the
3-year old :)

I suspect at one point down the road we will consolidate  all the
family users account into one single distro, with the parents using
the default ubuntu artworks in their account, and the kids with  an
edubuntu artwork in their account(s). But for now a separate partition
with the autologin was the easiest way to go instead of trying to
teach them the concept of user names/passwords of a normal ubuntu
setup.

--
Daniel Robitaille