-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Mathewson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I don't give up.
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:35:18 -0500

Thank you for that explanation - although I will continue
to adhere to my belief that some types of purism can be
almost self-defeating.

I wonder if you could advise me on a semi-related matter:

If I produced an application wherein logos of Macintosh,
Microsoft Windows and the Linux Penguin were displayed
(without any associated text) would I be legally liable in
any way?

NOW; back to my EFL programs: if Canonical cannot touch
them do you know of some organisation that can? I am
investing considerable time and effort in these programs
(built of 15 years as an EFL professional and 30 years of
computer programming) - and they are going begging: seems a
pity if they cannot be put to some use outwith my small
concern.

I appreciate the OpenSource model, and, I also understand
the reasoning behind commercial software: my own software
is normally initially developed for some commercial roject
and then released free elsewhere when its commercial use
has run a reasonable course.  However, there should be
proviso for something midway between OpenSource and
Commercial - an awful lot of good stuff could fall into
that basket.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:11:22 +0200
 Jane Weideman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 03:41 -0500, Mathewson wrote:
> > I also wonder what the difference is between 'FREE' and
> > 'LIBRE' except that one is an English word and the
> other a
> > French one -
>
> Free = Free of Charge AND Freedom
>
> Libre (as in Liberty) = Free as in Freedom and is
> unambiguous, so Libre
> is used to denote the Freedom essence instead of Free,
> which could mean
> either.
>
> > I should like to release my EFL programs for Linux FREE
> (as
> > in 'take them away without paying and do what you will
> with
> > them') - none of the source code - neither the
> commercial
> > engine nor my programming, would be available.
>
> That is not Open Source, and Canonical would not support
> that in
> principle.
>
> "Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free
> of charge,
> that software tools should be usable by people in their
> local language
> and despite any disabilities, and that people should have
> the freedom to
> customise and alter their software in whatever way they
> see fit."
>
> regards
> JaneW

See Mathewson's software at: