On March 13, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

 > forwarding that to the list
 > Von: Alistair Crust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > An: Oliver Grawert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > Betreff: Re: Dapper Sound
 > Datum: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:58:27 +0000

 [...]
 > -------------------------
 > [Default]
 >      SERVER = 10.35.191.30
 >      XSERVER = auto
 >      SOUND = Y
 >      SCREEN_02 = shell
 >      SCREEN_07 = startx
 > -------------------------
 >
 > with or without SCREEN_07 i can get ctrl-alt-f2 but all I get is this:
 >
 > tty=/dev/tty2
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/#
 > Ubuntu 6.04 "Dapper Drake" Development Branch ltsp tty2
 >
 > ltsp login:
 >
 > -----
 > so i type student and get:
 >
 > bash: student: command not found
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/#
 >
 > I type 'ls /dev/dsp' and get:
 >
 > password:
 >
 > then what ever you type is echoed to the screen !
 >
 > then the whole process starts again from ltsp login:

i don't know LTSP at all, but it sounds very much to me like you have
two processes actively trying to control /dev/tty2.  One process is a
regular root shell, and the other process is a login getty.

commands that you type get fed to both processes, which deal with them
differently.

the root shell, for example, interprets 'student' as a command, and
says (reasonably) 'command not found', while the login getty
interprets that as a username.

the login getty doesn't echo your password, but the root shell does
(because it thinks you are typing another command).

To fix this, i'd try a couple things:

0) Get rid of the login getty:

  look in whatever file passes for /etc/inittab (i don't know where
  that would reside in LTSP) and comment out the line that looks like:

2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

  by putting a # sign in front of it.

or, instead, you could:

1) move the root shell to an unallocated vt:

  maybe use SCREEN_08 = shell in your lts.conf instead of SCREEN_02 =
  shell?

  Then you'd access the root shell with Ctrl+Alt+F8 instead of
  Ctrl+Alt+F2.

Hope this helps,

        --dkg