Sorry, this question is a little off-topic for this list, but desperate times call for desperate measures. 8^)

In a few days' time, a major partner of an NGO I work for is going to come and visit. They've partnered on a project to create a film about HIV and AIDS, and to accompany the DVD with a multi-media CD-ROM which provides a really fantastic collection of supporting materials. This CD is for use in schools and aimed at youth in general, and is being distributed throughout the Pacific Islands region.

I've copied the material onto our local web server, in order that it can be accessed by all the computers on the center. It's done in FrontPage (feh), but at least all the links are relative, so that was a fairly straightforward task.

The material is great, but unfortunately it's designed to run on Windows XP with MS Office installed. Having dealt with OS-centric file format problems for quite a while now, I'm familiar with how to install appropriate codecs, libraries and applications to cope with other people's short-sightedness. 8^)

I've worked out which applications will work best with the material on this CD-ROM, and I've determined how to configure an individual GNOME/Nautilus profile so that a user can click on any link and the appropriate action happens (e.g. movie clips and wma files open in mplayer). There's one issue that I still have to deal with. though:

We have a youth centre here with 6 Ubuntu Breezy computers providing almost 400 users with individual accounts. The vast majority of these young people are school leavers with low literacy levels. I need a way to quickly and easily set the global defaults for all of these users in order that any one of them can access the items on this website and have it Just Work.

I'd like to be able to set system-wide defaults that override current individual settings. Normally I'd just dig through the bits and pieces of info scattered all over the 'Net until I have what I need, but unfortunately the Internet service here consists of 14 computers all sharing a single dial-up line(!), so that's not really an option given the time constraints.

My request, then, is can folks offer some insight into the best way to approach this problem, both in the generic and specific:

1) How do I set mplayer to be the system-wide default handler for .wma and .wmv without walking through every single user account and changing the settings?

2) This kind of thing is going to come up on a regular basis, so: Can anyone suggest any useful tools and/or approaches to handling configuration changes to hundreds of user accounts simultaneously?

'Write a script' is a perfectly acceptable answer, provided it comes with some suggestions concerning which tools to use. 8^)

One note about local resources: We're a very small NGO providing services to over 3000 local youths on a total annual budget of AUD 15,000. Our machines are typically donated, second-hand PCs about 5-8 years old.

I'll happily distill the responses, factor in my own experience and return a little documentation to the community if people think this would be useful.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the slightly off-base question. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time or resources right now to find a more appropriate place.... 8^/

--
Dan McGarry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IT Consultant
Community Communications Project